Several weeks ago, I used a gift certificate to buy seven skeins of Quince & Co. Puffin yarn in Nightshade. I had grand plans to knit a Hickory for myself and I was really excited about it. However, I had problems from the start. It called for size 11 needles; I had 10.5, so I went with that. 12 inches later, it just didn't look right, so I made a visit to my local yarn shop. I had swatched it before I went there (though after knitting the 12 inches) and discovered that I was a full inch tighter. So I went up to a size 13 needle, which got me the gauge I needed. So I cast on again and I loved the way that the cowl neck draped. It felt so warm and snuggly. Then I got to the lace pattern and I just couldn't figure it out. After two hours spent trying to get one darn row completed, I threw down the needles. Knitting is supposed to be enjoyable and this pattern would have required too much work. So now I had to figure out what to do with seven skeins of bulky yarn!
While looking through old issues of Taproot magazine, I saw the Fawn Hoodie by Carrie Bostick Hoge, which just happened to call for Puffin yarn. I loved the pattern the first time I saw it, but didn't think my knitting skills were up to snuff yet. Now however, I thought that I could handle it and the little babe could use a hoodie.
Using the dark Nightshade color for the whole hoodie would have been too dark for a little girl. I consulted with my Mom, who chose these two pink colors - Dogwood and Sorbet - and I think they look perfect. I only had to order one skein of each.
The pattern was very easy to follow. I got a little hung up on the hood for a bit, but after working out the increases on paper (and discovering on Ravelry that there was an error in the pattern at that very spot), it went perfectly. The hood requires a three-needle bind-off, which was something new for me. However, it was not hard at all and I was proud that I figured it out without referring to YouTube!
The original pattern did not call for pockets, but of course my little babe requested them. And I added a third button because two just didn't seem like it provided enough warmth. I used two buttons that I had left over from my first sweater and then an old one from my stash (my aunt's from the 1960's). I am really happy with the way it turned out. It is a bit big now because I made the 4T size so that she can hopefully wear it next Winter as well. It is warm, soft, and squishy and should keep my active little dear warm as she goes on her adventures.
I still have several skeins of the Nightshade color left, so I am currently putting them to good use. The temps are frigid here right now, so I am more than happy to wrap my hands around this thick warm yarn!